gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Anomalous course / heading info from gpsdecode

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Anomalous course / heading info from gpsdecode
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 11:43:00 -0500

Roy Barkas <address@hidden>:
> I'm still using the version of gpsd that is available from the Ubuntu
> repository (2.something I think).
> Haven't yet met the challenge of building gpsd from source.

That's the first thing to try.  I don't recall any recent fixes to that
part of the code, but the 2.x versions are quite old at this point.

The first thing you'll need to do once you've built from source is
verify that the AIS regression tests pass.  If they don't, that's a
smoking gun indicating a C bug.

If they do, try decoding your Type 1s with devtools/ais.py, a test
Python decoder included in the repository.  If you get the same
result, the problem is almost certainly in the data rather than
either decoder.