gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] current nits

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] current nits
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 07:57:20 -0400

Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>:
> Check out newer software.  The move away from autoconf has been slow,
> but steady.
>
> scons has not stood the test of time, but projects are moving forward
> to things like meson instead of backwards to autoconf.

Mike, I agree with both of these assertions.

What's going on beind them is that (a) autoconf is an overcomplex
pile of kludges, and (b) it mostly solves problems that have been
obviated by standardization of the C and Unix API.

As it becomes more obvious that (b) is true, projects are gradually
evaporating out of autoconf use to alternatives like scons, waf, meson,
and cmake.  There isn't a winner in this class yet; each has some
serious drawbacks.