Re: .desktop files [Was: Google Summer of Code]

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: .desktop files [Was: Google Summer of Code]
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 19:01:56 +0100

On 07.02.2012 11:31, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:

On Tuesday, February 7, 2012 11:14 CET, Fred Kiefer<address@hidden>  wrote:

On 07.02.2012 10:56, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
On Tuesday, February 7, 2012 09:42 CET, Fred Kiefer<address@hidden>   wrote:
On 07.02.2012 09:21, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
Another thing I'd really like to have is some more cross desktop integration,
for example,
allowing .desktop files, used in KDE and others,  to work. I'd really like to
define Firefox or
something similar as my default browser. (until Vespucci is production ready ;)

We already once had a Google Summer of Code student to work on cross
desktop integration. Sadly not much came from that.
I remember writing .desktop support ages ago. The file specification may
have changed in between, most certainly it has, but it should be really
easy to update our file generation to match the current standard. What
is currently broken?

Well, I have a couple of .desktop files around on my GWorkspace Destop. Double
clicking
them, doesn't do anything. I'd expect them to start the application configured
in Exec=, or open the
URL from URL=, and use the icon defined in Icon= ...
but nothing happens when I click on such icon.

I just checked that with Ink, after installing Ink it was sufficient to
click the .desktop file for it to start up the application.

Ah, I have a .desktop icon on my desktop for OpenOffice for example, and
nothing happens.
The oofromtemplate defined in Exec= is in my path. I also have another icon,
that doesn't have
a Exec=, but a URL= to a website, also there, nothing happens.

Ah, now I understand. You were talking about support for .desktop files in GWorkspace, while I talked about our .desktop files being used by external programs. Sorry for the misunderstanding.