Re: Google Summer of Code

From: Philippe Roussel
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 11:24:31 +0100

Hi,

Le 07/02/2012 11:07, Niels Grewe a écrit :
Hi Sebastian,

Am 07.02.2012 10:56, schrieb Sebastian Reitenbach:
AFAIK, there doesn't exist something the other way around, allowing other
application to create
an App Wrapper automatically. Even if that would exist, you'd still have to get
others to make use of
it, which I think is then the harder part.

I'd also really like to have an applications menu in GWorkspace, built from the
information from those
.desktop files in /usr/local/share/applications, that would allow me to browse
all installed applications
and just start them from the menu ;)

A while ago I pondered whether it would be a good idea to write a fuse
filesystem that uses the xdg-menu data (which spread out through the
filesystem, not just in /usr/local/share/applications, mind you!) to
dynamically generate wrappers. You would just mount it at
/GNUstep/Applications/Legacy and be done :-). I still think it's a neat
idea, maybe worth putting forward as a potential GSoC project?

Well, it sure is neat but adding .desktop files support to GWorkspace is probably easier and would do the trick nicely I think :o)

GWorkpace could also support transparent access to remote filesystems (ftp, smb, ssh, webdav ?), that would be nice.

Philippe