Re: GCC suport for Objective-C [Was: NSSound Reimplementation]

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: GCC suport for Objective-C [Was: NSSound Reimplementation]
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 18:22:56 +0100

Hi Fred,

On 18 Jul 2009, at 19:23, Fred Kiefer wrote:

your mail got me thinking, I wont switch to Clang and I don't hope
GNUstep as a project will. So the only option forward is to start
working on better Objective-C support in gcc. I surely wont have time
for this beside my maintainer task on GNUstep, but this seems currently
the more important task. I will have a look at the code in gcc that
supports Objective-C and if I am able to make any sense of it, I might
switch over to work on that.

That would be great. It's not a task for the faint hearted though. You can find all of the GCC Objective-C code in this file:

http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/trunk/gcc/objc/objc-act.c?revision=149722&view=markup

There seem to be two functions in this file related to ivar access / assignment, so it ought to be relatively easy for anyone familiar with GCC internals to add non-fragile ivar support. You also need to modify the ivar structure initialiser to contain negative values for the offsets (this is the hint I give to the runtime to indicate that this compilation unit provides support for non-fragile ivars and needs the offsets updated accordingly).

David