Re: libgnustep-base split proposal

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: libgnustep-base split proposal
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 17:12:20 +0100

On 19. Feb 2006, at 06:27 Uhr, Andrew Ruder wrote:
Objective-C is an incredible programming language, but right now the
most crippling factor for its widespread use is the lack of a "standard
library."

Where did you get that conclusion I never heard about that one before! :-)

GNUstep, however, brings along a whole
lot of other problems: crazy GNUstep/ directory structure, daemons,
config files, etc.. etc..

I wouldn't call the GNUstep directory structure crazy at all, its actually a rather cool thing.

Whats problematic is that it isn't possible to go w/o it and run GNUstep binaries/libraries like a regular Unix tool. Thats one of the reasons why its currently not possible for OGo to switch to gstep-base.

Instead they waste their time (no offense intended) on libFoundation and other such OpenStep-like API implementations, because GNUstep is not flexible
enough for their needs.

I don't understand the brackets, obviously this is offending. But no need to discuss it :-)

We can easily fill the role that libFoundation
and derivatives are made to fill.

Quite honestly I can't follow you, libFoundation was not made to fill missing flexibility in gstep-base, it was started a looong time ago by Ovidiu and others as a "pure" Foundation API implementation. When they did that gstep-base was still quite an ugly mix of libobjects and Foundation. I think this was fixed reasonably well in the last years so the initial reasoning for libFoundation is gone (though I have the impression that gstep-base still contains too much GS* stuff).

Why is there any more than a single
free Foundation implementation being developed right now?

AFAIK there are three worth mentioning:
a) gstep-base
b) libFoundation
c) mgstep?

So now a bit about the "why".

a) well, thats the GNUstep community which doesn't want to drop gstep- base for
   unknown reasons ;-)

b) libFoundation is not really "developed", its more or less in "maintenance" mode. It does what it does and it does it well. The OGo project is more or less the only user of libFoundation (though lF very likely has multitudes
   more deployments than gstep-base).
As mentioned before we would rather like to move OGo to gstep- base. If its possible w/o loosing features/speed/on-bugs which are important to us.

c) if I remember right the motivation behind mgstep is providing full
binary compatibility with Cocoa. I think few people care about that and
   the huge additional maintenance overhead. Though I might be wrong.

Finally I think that there is nothing particulary bad with having multiple Foundation implementations which have different goals. In contrary, its a demonstration of how well the Foundation API actually works and actually _the_ feature of GNUstep - since exactly this is what you do for Cocoa.

In essence, I'd like to propose that the -base library be split to fill this role.

Can't see how splitting will help since the main issue is not bloat but different goals or history or missing functionality.

If you want to know all the issues I have with using gstep-base instead of libFoundation, I could try to write that up. A major problem is that we don't have the time to fix/implement those issues in gstep-base (or bugs in gstep-base which might come up when using it with OGo!).

Any thoughts?

I think you very much misinterpret the reasons why there are multiple Foundation libraries and your motivation to do changes might be a bit "inappropriate" (no offense ;-)

IMHO one should rather come up with a list of the features missing in gstep-base (like FHS support) and implement them step-by-step.

We would definitely like to move to gstep-base if certain things do work.

Also note that you will need to have MUCH better API/ABI stability if you want to become the "standard" library. This is also something which is lacking in GNUstep (not a core feature for us though, we would probably maintain our own _stable_ branch).

Greets,
  Helge
--
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge/