Re: Rendering of fixed-width fonts

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Rendering of fixed-width fonts
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 23:57:45 -0500

On 2005-03-15 12:38:44 -0500 Adam Fedor <address@hidden> wrote:

On Mar 15, 2005, at 7:33 AM, Adrian Robert wrote:

This leads to the next question -- is it possible to detect at runtime whether you are running under Art or Xlib? (So as to change rendering strategies.)

In a way, yes. You can check for the backend contexts, like this:

if (GSClassFromName("ARTContext") != nil)

Thanks.

Is there any more efficient way to render with regular spacing than repeated calls to moveto and show?

Try DPSxyshow and variants.

Ah.  Attached is a patch implementing these functions in back-art.  ;-)

It modifies the existing DPSshow implementation to handle DPSxyshow,
DPSxshow, and DPSyshow.  Partial support is there for DPSwidthshow.
Right now I just patched ftfont-old.m since that's what I'm using
(freetype-2.1.2), and anyway this patch needs some feedback.

For one thing, I don't check the 'size' argument when deltas are
provided.  I don't know where people are finding DPS documentation
that goes into this sort of detail, but the postscript docs I read
said an error is generated if 'size' isn't the same as the text
length.  Should I check and throw an exception?

For another, I'm not sure when the y advancement should be used.  I
guess even the Japanese are mostly writing horizontally now, at
least on computers?  ;-)

<ARTContext.patch>

<ftfont-old.patch>