More Windows stuff ... example gui apps work for me now

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: More Windows stuff ... example gui apps work for me now
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 05:35:43 +0000 (GMT)

OK ... I did more Windows stuff ... I managed to build gnustep-base with
all the additional libs (even if I didn't do any change to get this ...
maybe because I'm installing different libs ?).  I also got the gui
working ... and generally libraries and bundles.  I finally compiled some
gui apps -- they work for me!

I was pretty impressed with the gui apps :-)

Anyway, the instructions I follow are starting to deviate a bit from the
README.MinGW ... but they are quite simple, almost identical to the
traditional Unix stuff.  Here is what I do if you want to try it out --

1. Install MinGW

Download MinGW-3.2.0-rc-3 or later from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw Install it into

C:/xxx/msys/1.0/mingw

(where /xxx/ is the top-level path you want to use, I use Nicola/GNUstep so
I install it into C:/Nicola/GNUstep/msys/1.0/mingw) (earlier versions of
MinGW won't work)

2. Install msys

Download MSYS-1.0.10 or later from the same site.  Install it into
C:/xxx/msys/1.0

The postinstall script should ask you for the mingw location, then
detect it and be happy that it's there and all is setup properly.

3. Install msys developer toolkit

Download msysDTK-1.0.1 or later from the same site.  Install it into
C:/xxx/msys/1.0

Now your MSYS/MinGW system should be setup!  Go around and make sure
you know how to use the Unix-like shell.  Log into it and work in it.

4. Download gnustep using cvs

5. go in core/make and do

./configure --prefix=/C/xxx/GNUstep
make
make install

6. setup your GNUstep environment (you will need to do the same every
time you start up your MSYS shell to do development)

. /C/xxx/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh

Also, set HOMEPATH, HOMEDRIVE and HOME ... add the following lines to
your ~/.profile:

export HOMEDRIVE=C:
export HOMEPATH=/home/Nicola
export HOME=/C/xxx/msys/1.0/home/Nicola
. /C/xxx/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh

(obviously replacing 'Nicola' with your Login name) (not sure if this
setting of HOMEDRIVE etc is really required, will investigate)

7. Download gnustep-objc, and compile it:

make
make install

8. go in core/make and reconfigure/recompile again so that gnustep-objc is
detected:

make distclean
./configure
make
make install

gnustep-make should have detected your custom libobjc.

9. Download ffcall from the GNUstep website, and type:

./configure --prefix=$GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT
make
make install

8. Download the following packages:

 libintl-0.11.5-2.bin.zip
 libintl-0.11.5-2.lib.zip

 libiconv-1.8.1-bin.zip
 libiconv-1.8.1-lib.zip

 zlib-1.2.2-bin.zip
 zlib-1.2.2-lib.zip

from http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net, and install them.  To
install them, simply unzip them into /C/xxx/msys/1.0/mingw.

9. XML support not working yet, step omitted

10. go in gnustep-base, and type

./configure --disable-xml
make
make install

11. for the gui, download and install the following packages:

  jpeg-6b-3-bin.zip
  jpeg-6b-3-dep.zip
  jpeg-6b-3-lib.zip

  tiff-3.7.1-bin.zip
  tiff-3.7.1-dep.zip
  tiff-3.7.1-lib.zip

  libpng-1.2.8-bin.zip
  libpng-1.2.8-dep.zip
  libpng-1.2.8-lib.zip

The process is always the same: download the zip file from the
gnuwin32 website, then unzip them into /C/xxx/msys/1.0/mingw.

12. go in the gui, and type:

  ./configure
  make
  make install

13. go in back, and type:

  ./configure
  make
  make install

14. go in a simple gui application (examples/gui a very good starting
point), compile and run it. :-)

Hope this works for someone else as well. :-)

Thanks