Re: GNUstep donations

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: GNUstep donations
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:21:33 -0500

Quentin Mathé wrote:

> Le 5 nov. 04, à 16:37, Adam Fedor a écrit :
>
> > Arg! Well after I got the ball rolling with SPI, RMS/FSF has come back
> > and told me that they WILL handle small donations after all (via
> > PayPal) and they would prefer I work with them instead of SPI.
> > Although he said that the FSF will take 10% of all donations for FSF
> > general operations. So what do you think? Should I blow off RMS and
> > keep working with SPI?
> >
> > I should have never asked him :-(
>
> ;-)
>
> Well I think if SPI takes less then 10 % for the donations, you should
> continue with them?

SPI take 0% of earmarked donations. They also put no limit on the size of
said donations, and there are various international charities that are
linked with them (SPI can accept donations for projects through several
charities in Europe, as well as the United Way, etc.).

All a donor has to do is mark the donation as "for GNUstep", and it all goes
into that project's accounts.

AFAIK, non-earmarked donations get a 10% cut for SPI's overhead, and the
rest goes to Debian's accounts (since SPI was originally started as a legal
construct for Debian). Maybe this can be, or already has, changed.

SPI will also hold other types of assets (such as intellectual property or
hardware) in trust, controlled by the officers of a project. For example,
many of the Debian servers were donated to SPI by manufacturers, for that
use. They're officially owned by SPI, but administered by Debian's admin
team. SPI hold the copyrights for the Debian logos, and must act on the
directions of the Debian project leader as to their enforcement.

e.g. Re: this icon thing, SPI could hold the images' copyrights and act as
directed by Adam to ensure that they are not infringed.

> Few reasons : FSF hasn't helped/pushed a lot GNUstep in the past and FSF
> is not the center of the free software world (they would like people
> think that), moreover strictly personally speaking I would prefer that
> GNUstep can be somewhat independent from the FSF to maintain it's own
> vision? may be I'm not a FSF/RMS fan, who knows ;-)

While I do believe that GNUstep is indeed the FSF's red-headed stepchild,
that's not really an issue here.