Re: Release schedule

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: Release schedule
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 10:05:31 -0800

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 11:38:01 +0200
Markus Hitter <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> Until now I've seen only few cases where GNUstep additions add real
> value. A lot of this stuff seems to be the result of preferred coding
[...]

Some of them are a real, pardon my French, pain in the arse.

Especially those that get included automatically for no obvious reason,
or are defined subclasses of a class you need but clash with your own
stuff.

A very (not so) good example is NSSocketPort, defined in NSPort (why
doesn't it use seperate header?????), that defines -socket -- returning
an NSSocketNativeHandle (ie. an int)

Oh, yes, yes yes, you could use STRICT_OPENSTEP for including NSPort.h
-- alas STRICT_OPENSTEP DOESN'T F*CKING WORK.

*SIGH*

Looks to me like there are additions, extensions and "stuff" that isn't
even tested whether it will work.

And don't give me that "works here" ... it doesn't work here, and that's
what matters to me (and my boss).

And yes, I reported that (among other things) before.

--
Chris