Re: Release schedule

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: Release schedule
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 16:18:46 -0800

On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 00:56:32 +0200
Alexander Malmberg <address@hidden> wrote:
> Willem Rein Oudshoorn wrote:
> > Alexander Malmberg <address@hidden> writes:
> > > No, but it depends on what kind of crash reporter is intended.
> > Well, this brings me to the following idea.
> > We have code in base that gives the returns the return addresses
> > of the current stack frame.
> Even if it can grab the immediate return address, it's a much more
> difficult problem to walk backwards and get the other return addresses
> that are part of the stack trace. I'm not sure how capable this code
> is, though.

I've actually been working on something like that for a while now and
got to the point where the tool/application/whatever will indeed dump a
backtrace for the last 3 or 4 methods/functions.

Unfortunately, it will then hit an invalid SEL'ector and really crash
with a core dump, on occasion taking X11 with it (in case of
applications) -- though I believe it is really Window Maker receiving
the signal (as I screw with those as well) and not knowing what to do
with it, it will take X11 down... :-P

--
Chris