Re: Release schedule

From: Andrew Ruder
Subject: Re: Release schedule
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 15:02:15 -0600

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 10:26:36AM -0800, Chris B. Vetter wrote:
> I don't really think a fork is necessary if we can agree on a common
> foundation, that satisfies everyone with respect to stability,
> usability and completeness.

I'd definitely second that.  At this point I don't even care what we go
with (Cocoa or OpenStep), but at some point there must be a decision,
and when that decision is made, keep to it and document it.  I don't
know how many times I go back to run one of my older apps and it
refuses to work because something has changed in the api.

(The whole respondsToSelector: ordeal with the exceptions on a
 NULL selector is an -excellent- example of what I mean)

The fact that everything is changing is, indeed, extremely frustrating
to the developer base and that carries over to the user base when none
of the applications work properly.  Try spending one day in #GNUstep
on irc.freenode.net where quite a few developers hang out and users alike
and you'll definitely see what I mean.

- Andrew Ruder

http://linuks.mine.nu/andy/