Re: Makefiles and dependencies

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: Makefiles and dependencies
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 09:51:49 +0100

On 2003-01-18 01:12:10 +0100 Nicola Pero <address@hidden> wrote:

<snip>

I think it's worth thinking about this idea. :-)

In this specific case, you don't need it, and can easily do as follows:

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

<snip>

Thak you for the hint.

But in general, it's a very interesting idea.  Thanks!

To implement it so that it runs quickly, maybe we would need to keep a
catalog somewhere (one per domain), in the form of a file which can be
included in a makefile, of all libraries/frameworks installed (in that
domain).  Then you could easily check if a library/framework was available
- the file would be included by the system, and you'd have some variables
defined by the file to check.

What about a catalog per source? Or users catalog can be updated by any 'make
dep' or something.

Periodically you would need to run an 'update' script to update these
catalogs.  Not sure if it's worth it.

See previous. I think that at least it is worth thinking of, because this can
remove another build step - configuration.

Moreover I see another advantage, but not real at this time - integration of
gnustep-make with some gnustep package management. You just type 'make' and
because you know wat frameworks you need, you can ask a package manager to
install them, if they are not available.

gnustep-make has many hidden possibilities :)

Stefan