Re: What's my stupid mistake with mingw?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: What's my stupid mistake with mingw?
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:40:17 +0000

On Wednesday, January 30, 2002, at 11:24 AM, Helge Hess wrote:

Hi,

since apparently there is no solution (make bug ;-), I vote for a small
addition to common.make which checks the pathes for spaces and exits
make with an error message if it finds some.
BTW: All pathes should be checked, since there is some potential that
users even move GNUSTEP_ROOT to some weird location by "accident" ...

The Windows user then has two options:
a) moving is home (yes, this is possible in Win as well ;-)

How do you do that in XP?  Hack the registry?

b) use --with-user-root to move stuff to a different location (eg
/GNUstep/Users/donald).

We could also make b) the default for Windows ? (GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT isn't
in HOME, but rather in a subdir of GNUstep ...) Defaults should
autocreate the /Users/$USER dir on access.

Yes ... but we'd need to strip any spaces from $USER first of course, since
windows usernames are sometimes things like a persons full name.