Re: GNUstep make problem packaging a framework

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: GNUstep make problem packaging a framework
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 15:55:46 +0000 (GMT)

> -L/home/nicola/GNUstep/Library/Frameworks/MyFramework.framework/Versions/Current/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu
> [...]
> > and -lMyFramework (and -I options, but I'll discuss about it later).  A
> > further improvement might actually check where the framework is on disk,
> > and add just a single -L - to the location of the framework on disk.  I'm
>
> Adding a dir for every framework could not cause a 'command line too long'
> error ?

I don't think it should ... this is probably the least problem.

> > I've already done this and it works fine and I think it's quite better.
>
> Does it work with the standard LD_LIBRARY_PATH ?
> It's probably that some OSs stores library path in the exe but I don't think
> all the linker/OSs does this. This could be a problem.

but yes ... you are right - this is a very serious problem instead.

For some reasons I didn't notice this in my quick preliminary tests ...
I'm not sure how to work around this ... well there are ways but they are
not as general and portable as the symlinks, so I think we'll have to keep
the library symlinks for now - I'll fix them so we can package them, but
they'll stay, since there doesn't seem to be a particularly satisfactory
workable workaround.

So - reverting to the old train of thoghts, perhaps we could simplify a
bit by putting the symlinks with the other libraries ... I mean instead of

/opt/gnustep/Local/Library/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu/libMyFramework.so.1.0.0
--> the framework library wherever it is

creating the link

/opt/gnustep/Local/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu/libMyFramework.so.1.0.0
--> the framework library wherever it is

so we can simplify the linker paths, and the LD_LIBRARY_PATH (and make
more difficult to get into the problem of LD_LIBRARY_PATH being too big
for some shells to manage).

> > My question is - would it be ok to modify the framework directory so that
> > headers are installed as in
> > MyFramework.framework/Versions/A/Headers/MyFramework/A.h
>
> Hmmm... I think it's ok.

Ok - I'll remove at least the header links, where there should be no
problem, and that should simplify things a bit.  I'll try to manage so
that it will find out where the framework is, and add a single -I for it.