gnurobots

Re: [Gnurobots] Stable release?

From: Jesse Gibbons
Subject: Re: [Gnurobots] Stable release?
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 14:24:11 -0600

On Thu, 2019-10-10 at 12:41 -0400, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
> On 7/5/19 1:56 AM, Jesse Gibbons wrote:
> > I added gnurobots to guix, which uses stable releases to securely
> > verify the source code's checksums. The latest stable release we have of
> > gnurobots is 1.2.0 which the FTP server
> > <https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnurobots/> says dates to 2008. It uses a lot
> > of deprecated functions in outdated libraries. I see in the git repo on
> > savannah <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnurobots.git>
> > there has been a lot of work on gnurobots through June 2017, including
> > an update to more recent APIs. What needs to be done to publish a stable
> > release so I can upgrade the package? Can I get a roadmap please?
>
> High Jesse,
>
> I'm sorry it's taken so long to get you a response. There have been
> some...
> things... going on recently (especially for the last month) that I've had
> trouble figuring out how to deal with and have taken a lot of energy
> that should have gone into maintainer activities like responding to your
> inquiry.
No rush.

> There were a couple more issues that I was hoping to resolve before
> putting out
> a new release (I just finally filed them in the bug-tracker on
> Savannah...).
I see five of them. I'll help if I can.

> Neither of them is really critical for a new release, though--given how
> much
> better the current codebase should be than the last release
> (and one of them--adding some way for the user to break out code that gets
> stuck--
>  has turned out to be hard enough that it really does seem unreasonable to
>  let it _block_ any release...).
>
> One thing hat _has_ been holding up release has been my limited ability to
> test--
> I have a few Debian computers here, and have verified that the program
> works well on them; if I can take your message as a confirmation that
> you've
> tried using it on guix and found that it works well there as well,
> then that's quite helpful feedback :)
I have only used version 1.2.0 from 2008 on guix.

> I've tried soliciting feedback from several groups of developers I know,
> but the responses have generally been along the lines of
> "I don't have to figure out how to build this, I don't know".
>
> If you've tried the program as built/installed from the current git head,
> are there any issues that _you_ think need to be fixed before a release?
>
> Or should I "just do it"?

I have not tried to build from the current git head. I will add that to my
to-do list this weekend and give you feedback on Monday.

I would like to be notified when gnurobots has a new release. I presume you
will announce the new release to info-gnu, correct?

--
-Jesse