gnurobots

Re: [Gnurobots] Stable release?

From: Joshua Judson Rosen
Subject: Re: [Gnurobots] Stable release?
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 12:41:10 -0400

On 7/5/19 1:56 AM, Jesse Gibbons wrote:
> I added gnurobots to guix, which uses stable releases to securely
> verify the source code's checksums. The latest stable release we have of
> gnurobots is 1.2.0 which the FTP server
> <https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnurobots/> says dates to 2008. It uses a lot
> of deprecated functions in outdated libraries. I see in the git repo on
> savannah <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnurobots.git>
> there has been a lot of work on gnurobots through June 2017, including
> an update to more recent APIs. What needs to be done to publish a stable
> release so I can upgrade the package? Can I get a roadmap please?

High Jesse,

I'm sorry it's taken so long to get you a response. There have been some...
things... going on recently (especially for the last month) that I've had
trouble figuring out how to deal with and have taken a lot of energy
that should have gone into maintainer activities like responding to your
inquiry.

There were a couple more issues that I was hoping to resolve before putting out
a new release (I just finally filed them in the bug-tracker on Savannah...).

Neither of them is really critical for a new release, though--given how much
better the current codebase should be than the last release
(and one of them--adding some way for the user to break out code that gets
stuck--
 has turned out to be hard enough that it really does seem unreasonable to
 let it _block_ any release...).

One thing hat _has_ been holding up release has been my limited ability to
test--
I have a few Debian computers here, and have verified that the program
works well on them; if I can take your message as a confirmation that you've
tried using it on guix and found that it works well there as well,
then that's quite helpful feedback :)

I've tried soliciting feedback from several groups of developers I know,
but the responses have generally been along the lines of
"I don't have to figure out how to build this, I don't know".

If you've tried the program as built/installed from the current git head,
are there any issues that _you_ think need to be fixed before a release?

Or should I "just do it"?

--
Connect with me on the GNU social network!
<https://status.hackerposse.com/rozzin>