Re: Small question about gnunet-search

From: madmurphy
Subject: Re: Small question about gnunet-search
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 07:13:00 +0100

That said, I strongly suspect the *timeout* option the man page refers to may have been removed a long time ago. Or maybe there is one hiding in libgnunetfs that I'm not thinking of. ;-)

Yes, I meant reacting specifically to that “timeout” option (I don't even know how what key in the configuration file would map it, eventually)… But the idea is not bad! Although in that case it would also be needed to allow a --timeout=infinity option, for when a finite timeout is set in the configuration file…

By the way, back then I had also written down some of the features that I believe a future FS module will need to implement:

  1. Possibility of sharing a file while it is still being downloaded
  2. Metadata must be editable and sharable
  3. Search keywords must be visible, editable, sharable (part of the metadata?)
  4. Introduction of a rating mechanism
  5. Allow reverse search (i.e. chk-URI lookup)
  6. Completely auto-unindex a file when it is missing
  7. Autoshare the dynamic content of a directory and update its index in real time
  8. Implement file statistics (download counter? last seen? etc.)
  9. Implement a “not” operator for search keywords (a tilde, “~”?)

My two cents

--madmurphy

On Sun, Jun 26, 2022 at 8:59 PM Christian Grothoff <grothoff@gnunet.org> wrote:
On 6/26/22 17:28, madmurphy wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a question about something I had noticed some months ago while
> reviewing the man page for |gnunet-search|. After typing |man
> gnunet-search| and scrolling down, the following text appears:
>
>     FILES
>         |~/.config/gnunet.conf| GNUnet configuration file; specifies the
>         default value for the timeout
>
> However there is nothing in the source code of |src/fs/gnunet-search.c|
> <https://git.gnunet.org/gnunet.git/tree/src/fs/gnunet-search.c?id=b6cbb6f800ef9aeebcfb76a7ba721d4b95a2e2ca>
> that reacts to the configuration.

GNUNET_PROGRAM_run() reacts to the configuration, as does the rest of
libgnunetutil and thus also libgnunetfs when it interacts with GNUnet
services.

That said, I strongly suspect the *timeout* option the man page refers
to may have been removed a long time ago. Or maybe there is one hiding
in libgnunetfs that I'm not thinking of. ;-)

-Christian