Re: What is the scheduler about?

From: Schanzenbach, Martin
Subject: Re: What is the scheduler about?
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2021 10:32:28 +0100

Hi,

let us first try to unpack the "normal" case (GNUNET_PROGRAM_run or run2 with
scheduler):

The scheduler is basically GNUnet's "main loop". It will run the tasks for
service communications, for example.
The scheduler intercepts all signals and handles them, including SIGTERM et al.
It also prevents the program from shutting down if we still have open
connections/operations with services.
In order to terminate your program, you need to close all running connections
and stop all tasks.
You can do this "cleanup" in the shutdown task. The shudown task will run on
ctrl-c or the respective
signals for termination.
To define the shutdown task, use GNUNET_SCHEDULER_add_shutdown().
To terminate the scheduler programatically, you can use
GNUNET_SCHEDULER_shutdown() (which will also run the shutdown tasks).

My assuption now would be that you initiate a connection (GNUNET_*_connect())
or an operation on a connected
handle without cleaning it up properly. That is why your program does not
terminate.

The other case is running without scheduler (_run2 without scheduler).
In this case you can handle your signals as you wish. You are not in the
schduler "main loop".
The program terminates when the control flow ends. But you will also not be
able to use API
which requires the scheduler (basically any service API interation).
So it is used rarely.

BR
Martin