Re: TCP vs BGP attacks

From: Jeff Burdges
Subject: Re: TCP vs BGP attacks
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2021 15:05:49 +0100

> On 9 Feb 2021, at 14:49, Schanzenbach, Martin <mschanzenbach@posteo.de> wrote:
> What do you mean by attack? An isolated AS? A brief hickup?

A malicious AS publishes a BGP route that send a specific targets' traffic to
itself, so that it can drop all traffic to and/or from the target.  The
malicious AS is not concerned about collateral damage and only needs to
maintain the attack for a several minutes.

> If the endpoints are no longer connected (e.g. an AS is cut off), then it
> does not really matter which
> protocol you use, the communication will be disrupted. The application will
> have to handle that.
> For TCP, if the disruption is temporary it may be able to recover, as TJM
> said.
> A general "does not overly disrupt TCP connections" seems wrong to me though.

Right okay this is what I would expect.

> I do not see how an issue with BGP would be different from, say, an ARP
> spoofing attack.
> Both attacks target the network layer, not the transport.

Right okay

My question was specifically about *open* TCP connections.  I’d assume the
major routers are fairly stateless, so there should be no difference between
TCP and UDP.  I interpreted someone’s statements as claiming there was enough
state there that each TCP connections’ packets would continue using the route
they found.  This seemed ridiculous.

Jeff