Re: Debian 10 available long time , can we upgrade instructions?

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: Debian 10 available long time , can we upgrade instructions?
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 14:50:51 +0100

On 12/11/19 1:38 PM, bo0od wrote:
> https://gnunet.org/en/install-on-debian9.html
>
> hope someone can make it newer.

You would be very welcome to contribute. I would expect the changes to
be very minor.

> also i wonder why there is instructions for installation over MacOS??

Because someone contributed them, and we do not reject such contributions.

> why wasting time/resources to develop something to work over proprietary
> OS which WONT ever be a privacy respected OS even with GNUnet <- Thats
> insane idiotic development just saying... (Windows same thing)

We indeed do not recommend using non-free operating systems, and the
core team spends (AFAIK) very limited resources to support non-free
OSes.  However, as before, volunteers do what they think is important,
and we welcome all contributions as long as they do not conflict with
the development of the GNU operating system.

I believe this is in line with the general GNU philosophy: portability
to non-free systems is generally not a goal, but also not something we
would actively block (so for example, we might reject contributions that
would significantly reduce maintainability or security for the GNU
system -- which is why we kicked the pre-WSL Windows support logic
recently).

But indeed, where possible it is preferable for developers to focus on
Libre platforms, and good privacy will always only be available if you
are under control of your computing by using exclusively Free Software.