Re: [GNUnet-developers] gnunet-go: Milestone #1 reached

From: Bernd Fix
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] gnunet-go: Milestone #1 reached
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 11:31:11 +0000

Thanks to everyone for giving me feedback on this list or by private
email; your comments and suggestions are very much appreciated.

I have updated the repository for gnunet-go with the following changes:

* fixed busy loop in service implementation; CPU usage is now down to
nothing while running idle and <2% if processing a request.

* time is now expressed in two types: AbsoluteTime and RelativeTime. All
message data structures and corresponding code has changed.

* the GNS service now handles "never expire" timestamps correctly

It was correctly noted that using Ctrl-C to interrupt the running
service (if started as a foreground process) does not work in all cases.
This is due to the intrinsics of the Go runtime (see
https://github.com/golang/go/issues/21905 for this) and unlikely to be
fixable in user code.

This might be annoying as normal GNUnet services can be terminated that
way, but I consider it acceptable for a program designed to run as a
background process. Sending signals (SIGTERM, SIGINT) to the process
works fine, using SIGKILL is discouraged as may leave remnants (socket
files) behind that need to be removed manually.

Looking forward to more comments, bug reports and suggestions.

Cheers, Bernd.