Re: [GNUnet-developers] gnunet-go: Milestone #1 reached

From: N
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] gnunet-go: Milestone #1 reached
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 11:04:04 +0000

Bernd Fix transcribed 1.2K bytes:
> On 9/18/19 9:51 PM, N wrote:> great to read about the progress!
> >
> > As a NetBSD developer I'm curious: are there any code parts on your
> > side which are Linux Go specific? I have some to solve on the gnunet
> > side, so if at a later stage you might require help or testing on
> > more platforms..
> The implementation is pure Go, so any platform specific parts should be
> handled by the Go runtime...

Ah, thanks :) I hope to test this soon.

But I wonder if it will work on Windows
> (can't check myself as I don't have Windows).

It would probably only work on WSL for Windows 10: I removed all win32
code from GNUnet recently due to it being severely unmaintained for many
years and because Taler wanted to get rid of a dependency (plibc) which
also got in the way of gnunet-ext a while back iirc.

> Please be aware that the code is an experimental, non-performant
> proof-of-concept code - it will take much longer than one month to make
> the GNS service comparable (in speed and functionality) to the existing
> one. But I am on my way...
>
> Cheers, Bernd.

That's probably sooner than I will have time to test this.
As some of us are meeting this weekend - do you want the
Go implementation of GNS (this is what it breaks down to on
the high level, right?) to be listed in the (gnunet) docs
(documentation and website), with the note that it is in
proof-of-concept stage?