Re: [GNUnet-developers] Epistemic Attacks and distributed PKI

From: Jeff Burdges
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Epistemic Attacks and distributed PKI
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 13:56:39 +0200

> On 25 Apr 2019, at 08:39, t3sserakt <address@hidden> wrote:
> I recently watched your Talk "Praktikal Mix Network Design" at 34c3.
>
> At Minute 8:45
>
> https://media.ccc.de/v/34c3-8974-practical_mix_network_design#t=525
>
> you are talking about epistemic attacks against a PKI. I did not get it
> right if you stated, that is it better to have a central or at least
> federated PKI over a complete distributed one, and you are in favor of
> not running a mix net on top of GNUnet.

It’s not that simple.  I've never believed RPS was quite ready for route
selection, but also never agreed with David on abandoning a decentralised
solution.

> Can you please point me to papers dealing with epistemic attacks against
> distributed PKIs?

I’m not overly familiar with that literature, but the attacks styles are clear
enough, either you poison the relay selection database of a target, or else you
use your knowledge of a target’s replay protection database when launching a
long-term statistical disclosure attack.

I think the sensible question is:  In what ways should the PKI be centralised
or decentralised?

Should relay admission be open/close or centralised/decentralised?  Should
relay measurement be open or closed, or even closed and manual?  Tor has open
admission but centralised admission and automated measurement, and no
stratification, unless you count MyFamily.  David’s project
Panoramix/Katxenpost had closed and centralised admission and even manual
measurement and stratification.  In my opinion, we require decentralised
admission and measurement because the corruption/censorship risk remains high,
and thus the optics remain extremely bad for Tor-like approaches.  We thus
require gossip about new relay admission at least.

We’ll always have “consensus” on some relay list, if only for bootstrap, but
should we have a large consensus list or just gossip relay information?  Should
clients see the full consensus list or does it merely serve network functions?

In the long run, we cannot give clients the full consensus list because after
10k relays even some minimised list requires like 400 megs, or 1gig with CSIDH.
 If we accept using slow insecure pairing-based crypto for privacy, and reject
post-quantum protections of CSIDH, then we can compress the full consensus
enormously for clients, but that’s two big ifs.  In the short run, if we do not
give clients some full consensus list then we’re vulnerable to epistemic
attacks.

We should always place relays into network strata using collaborative
randomness, but a large enough network can likely do this without a consensus
list, while a small network should benefit more from the consensus list, and
capacity measurements.  We thus favour a consensus list for strata until we can
argue we do not require one.

Jeff

p.s. I’m interested in capacity measurements for admitted relays, or even
incentivising them.  You can read my proposal at
https://github.com/w3f/messaging/blob/master/incentives.md  In this, we sample
relays using cover traffic generated by VRF lottery, but a consensus list
avoids biassed sampling.  It’s plausible Danezis’ Blockmania might provide some
nominally non-global "verifiable gossip" scheme, which also suffices, but a
consensus list sounds much easier initially.   In the distant future, we’d love
if relay admission took similar capacity measurements into consideration too.
Applying my scheme naively creates bias, and converges too slowly, but maybe
biased information beats no information.  If we do sample new relays just under
consideration, but do not tell users about them, then we distinguish some relay
generated cover traffic from client generated cover traffic.  Now relay
generated cover packets do less to protect users, but we might still argue that
this difference means sharing new nodes even to users.