Re: [GNUnet-developers] Discussion, and Help Wanted: Moving to Gitlab fo

From: Florian Dold
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Discussion, and Help Wanted: Moving to Gitlab for Git, CI, and Issues
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2019 19:20:08 +0200

On 4/7/19 6:46 PM, Schanzenbach, Martin wrote:
> The CAA does not help in any way. You are still liable as a platform. It has
> literally nothing to do with the copyright infringements if the contributor
> copied code from somewhere else. You cannot delegate this responsibility
> anymore to the user. That way the old way of doing it.

I am not sure what requirements you are talking about.  Do you have some
reference that explains this?  Christian, do you have one?  I would
guess we are probably not the only project affected by this.

It sounds like you're suggesting that we should have a core team of
developers in official capacity for GNUnet e.V. to look at pull requests
and then say "we think that this doesn't infringe on copyright" and
merge them in.  Is that what you're saying?

If somebody hosts code on the GNUnet gitlab that infringes copyright,
wouldn't we also be responsible for this?  How does the pull request
policy solve that?

> Just do whatever you want. I think I will stop bringing myself in this regard
> and just develop in an external mirror repo occasionally rebasing my stuff in
> the main repo. This way, you can even keep gitolite -> win win

I thought we were having an interesting discussion here.  You're right,
nobody is forcing you to commit to master regularly.  That's fine,
everybody should use a workflow they're comfortable with.

- Florian