Re: [GNUnet-developers] using $TMPDIR instead of /tmp

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] using $TMPDIR instead of /tmp
Date: Sat, 5 May 2018 14:57:38 +0200

On 05/05/2018 02:49 PM, Nils Gillmann wrote:
> Christian Grothoff transcribed 3.3K bytes:
>> Hi Nils,
>>
>> You are aware of src/util/disk.c, where we do use $TMPDIR (with fallback
>> to $TMP, $TEMP and finally /tmp) via GNUNET_DISK_mkdtemp() and
>> GNUNET_DISK_mktemp() already?
>
> The code in src/util/disk.c has a FIXME note, last touched almost
> 7 years ago. Before I use something similar in the mostly test-related
> files, is there a quick way to resolve this fixme note?

It's an obscure case: if your $TMP envrionment variable on W32 contains
non-7-bit ASCII characters (i.e. your /tmp path is c://blöd/, then we
get the resutl in System codepage, but our file utilities expect UTF-8.
So we ought to convert the string from codepage (via iconv) to UTF-8.
Doing this isn't terribly hard (GNUNET_STRINGS_conv() exists for this
purpose), but *testing* it (and possibly figuring out which exact
character set "System codepage" is for iconv) requires W32 access.

Still, this should really almost never bite anyone, so I don't think
this should block you using this code elsewhere.