Re: [GNUnet-developers] [GSoC] Question on "Rust implementation of GNUne

From: Jeff Burdges
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] [GSoC] Question on "Rust implementation of GNUnet utils" project
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 01:36:16 +0200

On Mon, 2016-04-25 at 00:06 +0200, Kelong Cong wrote:
> Some of you may already know, but I've been selected to participate in
> GSoC. So I'm looking forward to working with the team this summer!
>
> From now until 23rd of May is the community bounding period. Thus I'm
> thinking of doing the following to prepare. Please let me know if I
> should add anything.
> - Become more proficient in Rust, possibly by choosing Rust for some of
> my upcoming university assignments.
> - Learn more about GNUnet, esppecially the parts that are relevant to
> GSoC.
>
> There are also some things that I'd like to clarify.
> - Is it confirmed that we'll use gj going forward?

I think either gj or eventual.  It's ultimately your call.  :)

All my comments favoring gj in the mail you're replying to still hold.
And they seemingly do come up :
https://github.com/dwrensha/gj/issues/7#issuecomment-211936766

You'll noticed that I just sent a mail about gj dropping mio though.  I
already felt like eventual might give us more access to tools like
timers in mio, but now those features no longer exist under the hood, so
maybe that changes the balance.

> - What's the development process going to be like? Is it making pull
> requests on the gnunet-rs repository?

I doubt it as that'd impose reviewing on Andrew.  We've four people
interested, you, Andrew, Gabor, and I, with you probably doing the
most.

I've take it you are kc1212 on github?  I've taken the liberty to give
everyone admin access to https://github.com/GNUnet/gnunet-rs  Appears
admin access is just write access plus the ability to add someone else.
I did not set up a "team" which github might prefer somehow.

Alternatively, we could always just treat your github fork of gnunet-rs
as the main repository for your GSoC project of course, or even use
gnunet.org.

Jeff