[GNUnet-developers] Correction (was: plan: better descriptions and texts

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] Correction (was: plan: better descriptions and texts for gnunet.org)
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 15:49:30 +0100

As I am not sure if the first message was a bit unclear and if
the first reply was sarcasm, let me be a bit more descriptive:

I want to provide descriptions and texts for the public who is
not interested in technical details. Something I see currently a
lack of.
Technical and academical descriptions, texts, etc are something
people with a specific interest will dig in anyhow if they exist,
but people I talk to about SecuShare, which then also includes
GNUnet naturally, in most cases get an explanation from myself in
a language which tries to be self explanatory or at least leaves
as little questions as possible.

Take these 2 paragraphs (from the current frontpage of GNUnet,
the first eye catcher) and try to think from the perspective of a
person without technological background:

"GNUnet is a framework for secure peer-to-peer networking that
does not use any centralized or otherwise trusted services. Our
high-level goal is to provide a strong free software foundation
for a global network that provides security and in particular
respects privacy.

GNUnet started with an idea for anonymous censorship-resistant
file-sharing, but has grown to incorporate other applications as
well as many generic building blocks for secure networking
applications. In particular, GNUnet now includes the GNU Name
System, a privacy-preserving, decentralized public key
infrastructure."

This does not work from the previously assumed perspective, I
tried this with people I know who have good general technological
understanding. I am not pointing out that the texts are
completely broken, they work for me personally.
What I intend to do is to provide descriptions I came up with
since I started talking to people about GNUnet, around questions
people had.

I hope this gives some clarification on what I intend to do,
otherwise Christian should have gotten a bit clearer in person
explanation in Berlin at logancij.
--
ng
personal contact: http://krosos.sdf.org