Re: [GNUnet-developers] EDN

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] EDN
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 17:56:21 +0200

Hi Demos,

Here you are:

On 04/14/15 10:58, demos wrote:
>                       Dear developers,
>
> We, the EDN project (https://wiki.c3d2.de/Echt_Dezentrales_Netz/en)
> want to evaluate which software we want to test on our future testbed.
>
> Beside Testing we want to support promising projects in different ways.
> That includes Bugfixing, development and financial support we intend to
> organize.
>
> To support our selection process for software to be tested, we need some
> crucial information about your project.
>
> Please fill the list below and send it back
> OR even better: fill the tables directly in our wiki
> http://7ywdkxkpi7kk55by.onion/trac/wiki/ProjectsFeatureList
> within three weeks (until May 4 th 2015).
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Kind regards
> Demos
>
> == General Information ==
>
> 1. Project name

GNUnet

> 2. What it does

Secure, fully decentralized P2P network where we try to realize a future
Internet architecture for a liberal democratic society.

> 3. Software licence(s)

GPLv3+ (some other licenses are used in dependencies).

address@hidden

> 5. Programming language(s)

Primarily C, some Java, many other languages in support roles.

> 6. That makes it special

GNUnet tries to not just re-envision one function at one layer, but
instead considers a systems approach where we re-design the entire
network stack (communication, routing, naming, messaging, applications).
This way, file-sharing can provide cover-traffic for voice, and one PKI
can be used for many applications.

> 7. Link Future Plans - Vision

Not really available publicly, except what you find in the bugtracker.
Not to mention different developers have different ideas, and the
extensible component-oriented framework is designed to accomodate
diverse plans.  How do you envision the future Internet?

https://gnunet.org/bugs/

https://gnunet.org/svn/

> 10. Link Architecture diagram (wrt OSI-layer)

GNUnet spans components from Layer 2 to Layer 7 (applications).

> 11. Included applications (f.e. messaging)

File-sharing, Name System (naming/addressing), VPN (IP-over-GNUnet
including NAT-PT), conversation (Voice).  Synchronous messaging is under
development (PSYC), asynchronous messaging in planning.

https://gnunet.org/svn/gnunet-gtk/

> 13. Has got a network administration GUI -> Link

gnunet-gtk contains "gnunet-setup", which includes network setup tools.
Note that not all options are exposed in the GUI, as the GUI is for
non-expert users.

Also, the WLAN setup requires you to manually configure the network card
(on some channel, in some mode), GNUnet will then send non-IP traffic on
whatever Layer-2 WLAN device you configure to use, but re-using the
existing setup (Adhoc, infrastructure, etc.).

> == Security ==
>
> 14. Supports Anonymisation yes-no

Yes, for some applications (but not all).

> 15. Supports Encryption yes-no

Yes.

> 16. With:

???

> 17. End2end yes-no

Yes.

> 18. Link to implementation of encryption

Eh, primitives are from libgcrypt.

> 19 Vulnerable against the following attacks

???

> 20. That concerns the following parts

???

> == Routing ==
>
> Has got a routing protocol ->
>
> 21.Uses the following routing protocol

Currently three: R5N, GAP, DV-variant (still buggy)
Experimental: X-Vine
Future: OR, enhanced R5N

https://gnunet.org/svn/gnunet/src/{dht,fs,dv}/

> 23. Performed kinds of routing performance evaluation

Ran 100,000 peers on super computer and observed performance (including
with malicious participants).

https://gnunet.org/nate2011thesis

> 25. Maximum network size(nodes/users)

Unknown.  Performance is expected to degrate with network size, but was
acceptable at the limits of what we could experimentally run. But: this
also depends on which application you run over GNUnet.

> Does wireless mesh networking ->
>
> 26. Uses adhoc-Wlan

Yes.

> 27. Uses 2,4 Ghz Wifi

Yes.

> 28. Uses 5 Ghz Wifi

Yes.

> 29. Uses Bluetooth

Yes, but known to be buggy.

> 30. Other

Pluggable architecture, you could add more.

> == Requirements ==
>
> 31. Maximum RAM usage

Maximum? You can configure routing table size arbitrarily big, and
similar for storage (assuming PostGres/MySQL can handle it). So maximum
is whatever your kernel can handle ;-).

Minimum depends on which features/subsystems are in use, you should be
able to get it down to < 16 MB easily.

> 32. Disk space used for program

Depends on what you count. Compiling all optional dependencies on W32
can take more than 10 GB.

> 33. Does your software have extra hardware requirements?

No.

> 34. Requires Internet connection

Theoretically WLAN (Layer 2) is enough.

> 35. Supported plattforms (Openwrt, Debianwrt, Android etc.)

Bart is presumably playing with getting GNUnet onto some -WRT right now,
but I cannot say "supported" as I do not know of anyone who succeeded yet.

-Christian