Re: [GNUnet-developers] New GNUnet publication program

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] New GNUnet publication program
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 17:10:16 +0200

Hi!

This is interesting, in part because I recently did a similar split into two
steps for the new 0.9.x FS publishing API.  Now, what is not yet possible with
that API is the serialization into a specification file for the end-user
between
the two stages, but that might be a possibility. The main problem I see is
that the new API allows for "files" to be published that are not on disk (the
caller would just have to specify a function for how to get the data); that
kind-of conflicts with the ability to serialize to a human-readable file.  But
by serializing to a human-readable file + archive with embedded files this can
be supported sufficiently well.   So the idea is clearly worthwhile, I just
think it should not be done with hand-hacked clients but within the FS
library.

Also, I think (/hope) you're wrong about IBlocks not being deleted by gnunet-
unindex.  That'd certainly not be by design.  Finally, I wonder if the ability
to delete KBlocks is really all that important since I suspect users won't
keep the specification files around.  But maybe I'm wrong about that, and it is
certainly a reasonable idea, especially if we integrate it with a way to
trigger unindexing from tools like gnunet-auto-share (where code may control
the generation and management of those specs).

My 2 cents

Christian