[GNUnet-developers] Libgksu & configuration support

From: Milan
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] Libgksu & configuration support
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 20:13:01 +0100

I've just commited yesterday my updated version of configuration support
from gnunet-gtk. Now, gnunet-gtk adapts itself to the chosen config file
to launch gnunet-setup:
- if libgksu2 was not enabled at build time, it checks whether you have
write permissions to the file, and if this is the case allows you to
start gnunet-setup
- if libgksu2 was enabled, it checks the perms and starts gnunet-setup
under current user or asks for root rights if needed
The button's sensitivity reflect what you can do.

Nils, you may want to have a look to that code since most of it is
reusable with Qt adding little changes (mainly with Glib wrappers - Gtk
Widgets are only used a few times). I hope this feature can be very
useful to people that don't like command line and don't know where and
how to look.

What I'm wondering is how I can do the same for starting gnunetd, which
currently only works on very few cases. I can look into the config file
to know what user to use, but how could I start gnunetd using default
libgnunetutil functions, since libgksu only works with independent
programs? Starting gnunetd cleanly requires to take into account
parameters that every deistribution may change (nice, ionice, pidfile...).

Do you have any idea? I can see one: we should store the command line
the distribution wants to use to launch gnunetd in our config file, so
we can get it from gnunet-gtk. But maybe there are better ones...

Cheers

PS: would it make sense I ask Debian to set dependencies for gnunet-*
packages so that the whole series (gnunet-server, gnunet-gtk,
gnunet-qt...) require from each other the very same version (eg =
0.7.2c)? At the moment, you can use gnunet-gtk 0.7.1 with gnunetd
0.7.2c, which brought me a crash in Ubuntu.