Re: [GNUnet-developers] Re: GNUnet: adding libnotify support for gnunet-

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Re: GNUnet: adding libnotify support for gnunet-gtk.
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 09:16:19 +0200

Hi,

Christian Grothoff <address@hidden> writes:

> b) is libnotify the right way to do it?  or maybe the extra dependency is not
> worth it?  make it an optional feature if libnotify is present (complicating
> configure and build and source code)? are there other ways to do it (I mean,
> we can certainly open pop-up windows using GTK directly) -- so what is the
> distinct advantage of doing notifications with libnotify in this context?

libnotify is part of a larger project, the Galago ``presence'' framework
[0].  I'm not an expert of this thing, but the rough idea seems to be
that it provides a unified mechanism for desktop applications to notify
users of various events.  The user can then configure whether they don't
want to be disturbed at all, or only for urgent things, etc.

So, while you can certainly implement your own pop-ups, libnotify is
certainly the best way to desktop integration.  ;-)

Thanks,
Ludovic.

[0] http://www.galago-project.org/