Re: [GNUnet-developers] GNUnet mail ?

From: Benjamin Kay
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] GNUnet mail ?
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 18:22:12 +0000

A GNUnet mail system ought to use the pre-existing GNUnet pseudonym system. In
other words, mail would be sent from one pseudonym to another. Since
pseudonyms are made of private and public keys, these keys could be used to
encrypt/decrypt the messages. Paranoid people could add their own encryption
outside of GNUnet.

The challenging part would be a mechanism to make the message available to the
recipient. This could be done by building the mailsystem on top of GNUnet
(i.e. the GNUnet client checks a certain updatable key associated with a
pseudonym, much like the mechanism in Freenet that allows one to submit
comments to a Freesite). I think a better option would be to make this
mailing mechanism a protocol, like the GNUnet chat protocol; this would
ensure that everyone is using the same mail system :-)

Speaking of which, perhaps we'd all like to fix the GNUnet chat protocol
before we delve into creating a GNUnet mail system. It could be a great
learning experience...

Any suggestions, Christian?

-Benjamin Kay