[GNUnet-developers] GNUnet mail ?

From: milan
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] GNUnet mail ?
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:01:24 +0200 (CEST)

Hi !

I'm working on the idea of coding a mail system in GNUnet. Freenet already
implements this focntionnality (Freemail) with a smùtp mail server. Under
Unix, a maildir may be an easier, faster but also robust solution.

But the problem isn't in this part of the application. In order to send a
mail to somobody who isn't connected when you are, you have to tansmit the
mail to other nodes (several would be better), which will store it until
the receiver take it. As far as I know, GNUnet doesn't permit to send
content to other nodes, but only giving content to nodes that ASK it.

I think this feature could be interesting for GNUnet, since it can make
the network much hard to understand for sniffers. It would also enforce
deniability for content stored on personal computers. A little part (5 %
?) of storage space could be allowed to other peers' insertions, and the
management of this space could be made according to nodes trust.

I know this is a big work, but it opens many possibilities for mail and
AFS. What do you think ? Is in all this any problem with GNUnet protocol ?
If somebody is interested in helping me (I'll can't do this alone :-) ),
why don't we try ?

      Milan