RE: [GNUnet-developers] slocate

From: jan marco alkema
Subject: RE: [GNUnet-developers] slocate
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 20:30:36 +0200

Hello Niklas,

>Different programs need different database structures, because they use
their data in different ways. In gnunet, all data is stored as encrypted 1k
blocks, while in gnutella entire files are stored unencrypted.

I think there are a lot of the same database structures needed for the
different file sharing systems. Gnunet uses two types of database systems.
type 1) flat file structure for hosts, keys, etc. and type 2) for the blocks
in MySQL, gdbm, tdb or bdb. The first type is needed if you want to share
information with “your friends concept” only.

>I guess that what you want is a unified way to search all this data. As
someone wrote here earlier, there are projects to provide a single user
interface on top of many peer-to-peer systems. I think "gift" is the name of
one.

I have looked to the GUI examples of the gift project. The only interface I
liked (looked professional) was the "Windows API GUI", but a Windows API GUI
is platform depended. An other must is a good database engine/design beneath
the GUI. I prefer Java/JDBC/MySQL as a platform independent (professional)
GUI.

>But in the world of programming, things usually take a factor pi more time
than expected...

Realizing things could be very fast in the Linux world if a lot of persons
work together in a cooperative way --)

Greetings Jan Marco