RE: [GNUnet-developers] Replacing lookup

From: Jan Marco Alkema
Subject: RE: [GNUnet-developers] Replacing lookup
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 20:16:18 -0800

Hello Tom,

> Looks like db2 is by a company, but licensed such that it's freely
usable to free (as in open-source) software. Plenty of packages seem
to use it and Debian distributes it.

Db2 is developed by IBM in the Mainframe environment. First you have IMS
(hierarchic database) and the second database program is Db2 (the relational
database). Db2 is what I heard the best database there is. It is very
stable, robust, scalable, etc. 25 years of development! Db2 is ported to
different platforms. I don't think it is open source. Linked version are
distributed. Often people say "KICKS DB2". KICKS is the interface between a
person and DB2. If a person ask a too heavy query. KICKS makes a forecast of
execution time and if it is too heavy it don't execute the query.

Hello Igor,

For the foonrip project we tested the performance of inserting records. If
you insert "record for record" it will take much longer than when you do a
table insert. Iceman made a program to do the insert like the
insert(key,data,prio,indexinfo) procedure. He forked a process. One process
puts records to a Unix socket and the other does the insert table in MySQL
from the Unix socket.

Iceman made different drivers (MySQL, ODBC, flatfile + indexes) with foonrip
to make it more database independent. I saw persons who used ODBC with an
ACCESS database. Access is very popular in the Windows environment,

Greetings Jan Marco