Re: [GNUnet-developers] Replacing lookup

From: Tom Barnes-Lawrence
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Replacing lookup
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 02:20:18 +0000

Hi, yes, I am still here.

On Mon, Mar 10, Christian Grothoff wrote:
> I've taken the liberty to summarize instead of quoting in full. :-)
> > << GDBM sucks in performance for our setting>>

Excuse my very ignorant question here:
What exactly is the reason for not using plain old berkeley DBs,
libdb(2/3/...)? Is it licensing issues, some missing functionality,
or is the performance even worse than that of gdbm?

I take it that such a core *nix library would have already been
passed over, I just wondered why.

I still don't like the idea of gnunetd's DB being in a separate
server, and am inclined to feel that maybe gdbm or tdb could
perhaps borrow relevant parts of mySQL to get the performance
needed to work with gnunet.
 After all, both projects are GPL, right?
I expect it would be too hard tho.

Tom Barnes-Lawrence