Re: [GNUnet-developers] testing gnunet-0.5.0

From: Igor Wronsky
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] testing gnunet-0.5.0
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 15:59:02 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 27 Dec 2002, Jan Marco Alkema wrote:

> Both mine two Linux servers got a segmentation error. Shame on me I haven't
> run gnunetd with gdb. After restarting I got an other segmentation error,
> because the segmentation error before doesn't close the "gnunet database"
> properly (I believe). Throwing away the gnunet var directory helped
> restarting gnunetd. See Appendix for the details.

Better to say this on the list too... it wasn't a problem of
data corruption, but read/allocate routine that was borked. So
in future, if you're not in a hurry, better ask first, and provide
a detailed bug report, and if solution doesn't come quickly
enough, then delete. Usually deleting everything might just mean
that the problem will reappear eventually.

> The other problem is running out of RAM memory of gnunet-download (65 Mb)
> when I download a big file. If you use "udp tcp" the break will be earlier
> then if you use "udp" protocol only.

Nasty tcp. :(

> I see in the top menu that I have 2 zombie processes? How can I get rid of
> the zombie processes? Recompiling the source code for instance, etc.?

Running gnunetd in gdb makes the zombies. It shouldn't be a problem.
Running 'large scale operations', 'tcp' and 'gdb' together will consume
resources, can't be helped.

> ># currently connected nodes : 4
> I see at this moment on the gnunet 0.5.0 network only 4 other gnunet
> servers! One of these servers belongs to me.

There might be a problem of 0.5.0 slowly losing connections even
if nodes are active - I've noted this particularly when someone
is downloading a file all from this node, or when I'm downloading
something big from elsewhere. I have some educated guesses about this
but I'll keep my mouth shut at the moment. The issue is under
investigation but will probably get solved only after Christian gets
back from  his holiday (the connection module and routing is
nontrivial - atleast to me).

Igor