Re: Fwd: GNU Herds: Attend pending to classify skills

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Fwd: GNU Herds: Attend pending to classify skills
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 00:15:50 +0100

Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
> IMHO if LPI requires the use of Non-Free Software to get its certifications
> GNU Herds should not promote it.  Therefore we should tag is as Non-Free
> Software to avoid it being published in users' qualifications and offers.
>
> Disagreement, corrections, comments, ...?

It's a difficult one to decide.

On the one hand, the criteria at levels 1 and 2 is all about free
software as far as I can tell and it's only level 3 that requires
workers to learn MS Active Directory.  Also,the use of non-free
software at their testing centres has been no worse than the old SAIR
Linux and GNU certification.

On the other hand, LPI.org has behaved badly IMO, Xamnet is the worst
kind of non-free-software - software that will be free, eventually,
one day, some day, never, sitting there as a deterrent to other
project which might have solved this problem already - and what the
hell is MS Active Directory doing in a Linux certification at all?

Personally, LPIC raises as many questions about someone's ethics as it
answers about their technical skills.  I'd be interested to know what
others think...

--
MJ Ray (slef)