Re: Bank transfers

From: Antenore Gatta
Subject: Re: Bank transfers
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 07:57:28 +0200

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 2:45 AM, Nicodemo Alvaro <address@hidden> wrote:
I don't understand how I will be able to do testing on my own if the
project will need a bank account to be managed. Will the bank give us
a test account so that we can see how things work?

No, at least not for a small "business" as Gnuherds.

We need a so called "business account", where is (not always) possible to share 1 bank account with different logins and ACL.
The banks that provides these kind of multi-access, they sometimes provide also API, tools or third party tools for online shopping or onlline transactions.

So first of all we need to identify banks that provides these kind of services.

I am a little unsure how organizations make electronic transfers over
to the bank using their own interface.

In different ways, credit cards are the most used payment method, then there are electronic transaction like paypal (but that use credit card), or ePay and all of that methods that use ATM or POS, That are EFT, Electronic funds transfer.
Again, the transaction is managed via API, remote interfaces, third party tools, using different protocols and standard.

For credit cards the used protocol is the ISO 8583, there are two open source implementation, http://www.oscarsanderson.com/iso-8583/
and http://sourceforge.net/projects/multixtpm

Would we have to send over the data to the bank using secure GET and
POST methods to their servers?

Would the client or the GNU Herds' servers be doing to the sending
actions to the bank's servers?

Will be the GNU Herds server that will send the transaction using the provided bank's interface

I don't quite understand the advantage of ING Direct other than the
3.15% annual yield. I believe for ING Direct to work you need to keep
another checking account with another bank.

http://business.ingdirect.com/products/ofb_savings.asp?s=OpenAccount

I'm agree, as we need in any case a bank account I don't see any advantages using Ingdirect, they even not provide APIs or tools for online transactions. BTW, it could be interesting to have it additionally for the 3.15% annual yeld.

So, resuming....

We need to choose a bank that provides API, tools, interfarces and so on, plus multi access login.
As they usually provide access only via PIN/TAN systems, we have to choose carefully, and to choose carefully who will hold the access keys (RSA keys or whatever).

Or we can choose any bank accounts and using a platform like ePay (Visa) http://usa.visa.com/merchants/payment_technologies/epay.html?it=c|/merchants/|Visa%20ePay

I know it's kaotic... Well I advice you, if you are still interested to start to see, just to have an idea, what your bank offer, and asking to them what would be needed if you would like to add online transavction to your business, be vague, don't specify which is the business.

I hope that I didn't add more confusion, and as usual I could be wrong.