Re: DB vs FS based webapp architectures -- web 2.0 -- RSS, etc.

From: Antenore Gatta
Subject: Re: DB vs FS based webapp architectures -- web 2.0 -- RSS, etc.
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 16:19:32 +0200

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
> I will read all those very good links this weekend Antenore!
>
> Antenore Gatta wrote:
>> it's even not just a way to use the web technologies with
>> the goal of "enhance collaboration among users". Definitively not.
>>
>> Web 2.0 is in few words "Internet as a Platform" ,
>>
>> I advice to everybody who is interested to read
>>
>> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/tim/news/2005/09/30/what-is-web-20.html
>> and this transcript
>> http://talis-podcasts.s3.amazonaws.com/twt20080207_TimBL.html (Sir Tim
>> Berners-Lee Talks with Talis about the Semantic Web).
>> http://www.paulgraham.com/web20.html
>

>> We should really think which technologies we should implement, how and why.
>
> I will think about it the next months and I will expose my personal
> opinion.

To better give you an idea of what IMHO would be great to have, I give
you two effective examples.

OpenID: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenID

Quoting wikipedia...

OpenID is a shared identity service, which allows Internet users to
log on to many different web sites using a single digital identity,
eliminating the need for a different user name and password for each
site. OpenID is a decentralized, free and open standard that lets
users control the amount of personal information they provide.

The best would be to maintain our login system (to still keeping users
on our DB) plus adding the OpnID system.

An article of Remy Sharp
http://remysharp.com/2007/12/21/how-to-integrate-openid-as-your-login-system/
describe "How to integrate OpenID as your login system".

DOAC, Description Of a Career:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Description_of_a_Career:

Quoting Wikipedia...

Description Of A Career (DOAC) is a semantic vocabulary created by
Ramon A. Parada to describe professional capabilities of a worker. It
has been designed to be compatible with the European curriculum
(Europass) so those can be generated from a FOAF+DOAC file. It
includes information about education, working experience,
publications, spoken languages and other skills so it can be shared
and processed by any application.

So it use an rdf file to describe a career, it would be possible also
to use this in conjunction with FOAF (Friend Of A Friend) to create a
Europass file. The idea could be to implement an export functionality
on GNU Herds to have DOAC and FOAF files for each profiles.

These I guess are quite easy to implement and they should give us a
bit of visibility and to gain ground for the future.