Re: Job Application

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Job Application
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:02:00 +0100

Andrew Farnen wrote:
> Hi, I'd like to apply for the "HTML & CSS" Developer job for GNU Herds -
> Free Software Association. I have good experience in HTML, XHTML, and XML,
> as well as CSS, Javascript, and others. I am looking to put my knowledge of
> these platforms to good use, and also to help GNU and any related projects.
> You can view my Resume/Skills at https://savannah.nongnu.org/users/afarnen.

The main problem now is that the <table> based layout sucks!

We are experimenting just on a "Save as" copy of the HTML code of the home
page, http://gnuherds.org/

Current status of experiments realized by others developers:
 * Sameer:   http://www.damagehead.com/gnuherds.org/index.php
 * Antenore: http://gnuherds.org/div/

You could do a "Save as" copy of the Sameer's work and:
 1. Convert it to HTML 4.01 Strict
 2. Add the logo
 3. Add the vertical menu

You should subscribe to the development email list and ask about anything:

Some notes about this task are registered at:

  task: Use "HTML 4.01 Strict" instead of "HTML 4.01 Transitional", and
        a <div>s based layout instead of a <table>s based one

        http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?6177

Note the goal is use "HTML 4.01 Strict" not XHTML. You could take a look at
the conclusion section of "Beware of XHTML" [1]:

  [1] http://www.webdevout.net/articles/beware-of-xhtml#conclusion

The project is never in a hurry.
We could work as a team.

Best regards,