Re: Free Software criteria -- about "Software distributions"

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Free Software criteria -- about "Software distributions"
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 21:56:44 +0200

MJ Ray wrote:
> GNU Herds work team wrote:
> >   * Debian is Non-Free because it contains Non-Free Software BLOBs in
> >     the Linux kernel, like Ubuntu, and work to provide easy access to
> >     Non-Free Software.
>
> Note that non-free software is *not* part of debian's installed
> package manager configuration.  It will not install Non-Free Software
> automatically, except for serious bug cases (such as some Linux kernel
> drivers).  "work to provide easy access to Non-Free Software" is utter
> defamation - what project has been cataloguing the Linux kernel to
> help clean it up?  What project has been key in developing Iceweasel?

Debian rocks!, I use Debian, however the facts are,

The Debian organization includes Non-Free Software BLOBs in the Linux kernel
of the Debian GNU/Linux distribution.  Therefore the "Debian GNU/Linux"
software distribution is Non-Free.

The Debian organization offers the download of Non-Free Software packages
(non-free) in the same http/ftp servers than the Free Software one (main).
Anyway note that even 'main' is not 100% due to the BLOBs in the Linux
kernels.

We could tag as follows:

  "Debian"            as Non-Free

  "Debian GNU/Hurd"   as Free

  "Debian GNU/Linux"  as Non-Free

> Yet still, GNU fans are quick to use debian as an example of evil -
> why?  Is it because Debian won't accept that its users should have no
> freedom to delete the GNU Manifesto from a manual if they want to?

I am not myself a GNU fan.  Note that I am using Debian. Debian is being used
at the current gnuherds.org server.

I just analyze the facts to get the final rationale.

> IMO, Debian no more "works to provide easy access to Non-Free
> Software" than GNU or any other Free Software operating system does.

The fact is that the Debian organization offers the download of Non-Free
Software packages (non-free) in the same http/ftp servers than the Free
Software one (main).

> The debian project does not and will not stop people downloading from
> other places or setting up other download sites besides the main
> repository.

> Sadly, freedom must include the freedom to enslave yourself if you try.

Yes, I agree with you, however you should not present an slave in the eyes of
every guy.  That is my current personal opinion. I could change my mind
tomorrow if there is a solid rationale.

> Hope you remove the debian-bashing from GNU Herds,

Let us discuss it slowly to get the final rationale. Sincerely, I could
personally be mistaken.

Davi