Re: [Charter modification proposal]: Deleting the requirement to renew m

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: [Charter modification proposal]: Deleting the requirement to renew membership each year
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 02:01:39 +0200

MJ Ray wrote:
> Davi Leal wrote:
> > Rationale:  Unnecessary bureaucracy.
>
> The proposal replaces "Memberships will be on a yearly basis. Even
> though membership is free of charge membership must be renewed." with
> "Membership is free of charge and do not have to be renewed."
>
> I think that's a bad idea.  I've seen it cause problems elsewhere: for
> example, SPI currently has too many idle members because it hasn't
> been renewing memberships.  That's just getting fixed, I think.
>
> As well as making all turnout figures seem horrible low, this could
> also make it impossible to dissolve the association (to replace it
> with another form, for example).

Oops!, now I agree with you MJ!

Anyhow, I think only voting members should be asked to renew, due to associate
member does not vote, they just register in the site.

New proposed modifications:
   http://gnuherds.org/charter#Membership

  "Memberships will be on a yearly basis. Even though
   membership is free of charge membership must be renewed."

     -->

  "Both membership kinds, voting members and associate members,
   are free of charge.  However to avoid idle voting members
   such membership kind will be on a yearly basis and must be
   renewed."

My wording is not too much good. I do not know if it can be improved.

As usual I did not commit to CVS this non-obvious change before checking it
first with all you.

> I'm against unnecessary bureaucracy, but a regular ping seems
> necessary. Surely it could be automated to reduce bureaucracy.

Task added:

  Add an automatic mechanism to renew membership reducing
  so bureaucracy.

    http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/index.php?7331