Re: GNU GPLv3 & GNU Affero GPLv3

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: GNU GPLv3 & GNU Affero GPLv3
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 23:50:59 +0100

Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
>        http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#SeparateAffero
> So, I propose upgrade to GNU Affero GPLv3 when it be released. Let me know
> any
> disagreement.

Two problems:

Firstly, I don't want to buy a pig in a poke, a bag of cats, or
whatever your local equivalent expression is.  I'll make my mind up on
GAGPL when it is out of their Web-2.Null consultation interface and I
can see it properly.

Secondly, I don't expect a new Affero licence to be free software.
Compare the Affero source-publishing requirement with the answer to
"Is there some way that I can GPL the output people get from use of my
program?"  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLOutput
Where does this line lie?  Why is it OK to put restrictions on the
output of web programs but not hardware design programs?

Personally, I hope that FSF never publish GAGPL and so never open the
route for GPLv3 developers to activate GNU's Very Own Obnoxious
Advertising Clause, like http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html

Hope that explains,
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.