Re: Affero GPL v3 vs GPL v3

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Affero GPL v3 vs GPL v3
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 19:57:34 +0200

MJ Ray wrote:
> Davi Leal wrote:
> > If the final GPL v3 does not include the Affero-like protection, I think
> > I will license my contributed code with Affero GPL v3 or later.
>
> Either using GPL+Affero or using an AGPLv3 would be disappointing, but
> the problems (introducing use restrictions and discriminating against
> networked use with a circumventable requirement) are well-known, so
> I'll not elaborate here.  Please use the GPL instead.

I do not think this provision can be circumvented. You have to "offer the
opportunity to receive the Corresponding Source".

    Ref.: http://gplv3.fsf.org/agplv3-dd1.html

I want to enforce sharing, so I like the Affero-like protection. I fear a fork
and lock.

  Note that it's "a network server" not "the same network server" or
  "the same network session" as mentioned in earlier drafts -- so the
  source can be hosted elsewhere.

     Ref.: http://lwn.net/Articles/237122/

 Therefore, the problem of the DoS is solved.  Are there any other one?

I actually appreciate your feedback about this subject!.  Please, expose any
fear you have.

Davi