Re: Affero GPL v3 vs GPL v3

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Affero GPL v3 vs GPL v3
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 19:31:53 +0200

Davi Leal wrote:
> we should keep temporally the Affero GPL up to GPL v3 be released.

It seams the Affero-like protection which was present at the GPL v3 draft 2
has been removed from the GPL v3 draft 3.

  http://gplv3.fsf.org/comments/gplv3-draft-4.html

Instead of adding such protection to the GPL v3, a new version of the Affero
GPL license is being worked out.

  http://gplv3.fsf.org/agplv3-dd1.html

It is essentially GPLv3 with an additional term:

  "Notwithstanding any other provision of this License, if you
   modify the Program, your modified version must give all users
   interacting with it remotely through a computer network (if
   your version supports such interaction) an opportunity to
   receive the Corresponding Source of your version by providing
   access to copy the Corresponding Source from a network server
   at no charge."

Therefore, I propose this license policy:

  Software licensed under:  Affero GPL v3 or later

  Accepting code licensed under:
     * GPL v3,
     * GPL v3 or later,
     * Affero GPL v3 or later,
     * BSD like,
     * MIT

     and all compatible licenses.

If the final GPL v3 does not include the Affero-like protection, I think I
will license my contributed code with Affero GPL v3 or later.

Best regards,
Davi