gnue-dev

[GNUe-dev] Re: windows install problems

From: Jan Ischebeck
Subject: [GNUe-dev] Re: windows install problems
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 21:30:52 +0900

Dear Tom,

Can you send me the traceback from the point where you got stuck?

Jan

PS: Please send your Emails to address@hidden The address address@hidden won't work as expected.

Tom Keating schrieb:
Help,

I've downloaded and unzipped the 6 gnue - files. from Jan Ischebeck article I am installing on Windows 2000 so I installed installed python, wxwidgets, the kinterbasdb firebird Jan Ischebeck <address@hidden> v0.03, 2003-11-22 This mini HOWTO describes how to get the GNUenterprise packages release 0.5.x to work on Windows 98 in combination with for example PostgreSQL or MySQL) * get and install the file from <http://www.egenix.com/files/python/egenix-mx-base-2.0.4.win32-py2.2.exe> * which can be found at: http://www.egenix.com/files/python/eGenix-mx-Extensions.html#Download-mxBASE <http://www.egenix.com/files/python/eGenix-mx-Extensions.html> 3. The uidriver packages (you need at least one)
3.1 wxPython (required for wxwindows uidriver)
* get wxPython Binaries from http://www.wxpython.org/download.php#binaries <http://www.wxpython.org/download.php> * I would recommend to use the normal version, but possibly the unicode builds work too. * Use the version for python2.2
3.3 win32all (required for win32 uidriver)
* load win32all package from <http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/Downloads.html> * should be build 152 or so. 4. Database driver for python
4.3 Firebird/Interbase driver
* get it from <http://sourceforge.net/projects/kinterbasdb/> 5 The GNUe Tools
5.1 Preparations
* fetch it from <http://www.gnuenterprise.org/downloads/hourly.php> * store it and unzip the archive Then: * create the following script (you can do it with notepad and store the file as install.bat) C:\python22\python.exe setup.py install * you should replace C:\python2.2 with the path where you installed python * store that file in the subdirectory gnue-common of the unzipped cvs snapshot * copy and paste the file to the rest of the snapshot subdirs (gnue-forms, gnue-designer ....) 5.2 Install * switch into gnue-common and double click on that 'install.bat' file you created. Now gnue-common should be installed. Repeat these steps for the modules GNUe-Designer, GNUe-Forms, GNUe-AppServer and GNUe-Navigator 5.3 Convinence * create a batch file "gnue-forms" with the following content in the scripts subdirectory of your python installation: C:\python22\python C:\python22\Scripts\gnue-forms %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9 * do the same step for: GNUe-Designer, GNUe-Forms, GNUe-AppServer and GNUe-Navigator * you can then create links to these files on your desktop or in the programm menu * you should double click on a forms file f.e. intro.gfd in gnue-forms/samples/intro and assosiate it with the gnue-forms.bat script Everything seems to work up to this last point when I double click on the file - here I get a traceback error at line 26 or 30 (it varied from attempt to attempt). I copied the parts that I went through as the others seemed to be choices or for other databases or versions of windows. I will try again later but unless someone can give me other things to try or alternative directions I am probably out of luck as I know absolutely nothing about Python itself to troubleshoot with. I also tried the windows install routines for gnue forms and runtime but it can't find gnue-forms when I try to start it and required me to install on my cramped C: drive. I will probably try to move other things to my D: drive and then install everything on my C: drive if nothing else works.

        Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated as this environment
looks and sounds most like the paradox objPal enviroment I'm framiliar with
(okay a after I get running and can spend a few months playing with it, I'd
drink most of the coffee anyway.

        Thanks in advance.

        tom keating