gnue-dev

Re: [GNUe-dev] RPC interface to appserver now even simpler

From: Reinhard Mueller
Subject: Re: [GNUe-dev] RPC interface to appserver now even simpler
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 13:14:12 +0100

Am Dienstag, den 21.02.2006, 04:48 +0100 schrieb Malek Hadj-Ali:
> > So if you don't need a geasList any more, simply _destroy it. When you
> > don't need a geasSession any more, simply _destroy it.
> >
> why keep the name "_destroy" and not use "close", now that it's free?
> (doesn't "close" make more sense?)

This function does not only close some database cursors and the like, it
really destroys the object on the server side. The concept of _destroy
is a general concept in our RPC, not limited to appserver.

> > And, if you just close the TCP connection, the server will automatically
> > call the _destroy for all objects related to that connection (still it
> > would be considered bad style).
> >
> what do you mean by "close the TCP connection"? sending a request with
> header "Connection: Close"? Is that the way to shutdown properly the
> session manager?

The automatic _destroy should run (sooner or later) for any kind of
closing the connection, ranging from (AFAICT) "Connection: Close" to
plugging the power cable of the client.

Thanks,
Reinhard