gnue-dev

[GNUe-dev] RPC interface to appserver now even simpler

From: Reinhard Mueller
Subject: [GNUe-dev] RPC interface to appserver now even simpler
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:49:25 +0100

Hi, all,

triggered by the strange behaviour of lists that have already been
closed, we looked through the RPC interface of Appserver and found
following problems:

1. when somebody forgets to close a session before _destroy'ing it, it
remains open forever.
2. same for lists, except that a list is automatically closed when a
session is closed
3. the feature to implicitly commit in closing a session is a very
dangerous one, especially when considering that a commit can fail
4. the session had login and logout functions that are redundant
5. loosing the connection due to network problems causes the session
with all lists to remain open
6. closing a session a session and then not immediately _destroy'ing it
leaves it in a completely unusable state, the same holds for lists, so
why would we need a separate close anyway?

So we completely removed the geasSession.login, geasSession.logout,
geasSession.close and geasList.close functions and changed the _destroy
function of the objects to clean up things.

So if you don't need a geasList any more, simply _destroy it. When you
don't need a geasSession any more, simply _destroy it.

And, if you just close the TCP connection, the server will automatically
call the _destroy for all objects related to that connection (still it
would be considered bad style).

We hope that this makes using the RPC interface of appserver easier,
especially for those that implement a client from scratch (for example
our heroes working on the Web client).

Thanks,
Reinhard and Johannes